Oscars 2021 will allow streamed films due to COVID-19 pandemic
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science is relaxing the rules for this year’s movies.
The board of 54 members has allowed some movies released on streaming platforms and via digital release to qualify for the 2021 Oscars because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The Academy firmly believes there is no greater way to experience the magic of movies than to see them in a theatre," said President David Rubin and Chief Executive Dawn Hudson.
"Our commitment to that is unchanged and unwavering.
"Nonetheless, the historically tragic COVID-19 pandemic necessitates this temporary exception to our awards eligibility rules."
The change is valid for only those movies that had a previously planned theatrical release and only for the upcoming 93rd Academy Awards. The event is still scheduled for Feb 28, 2021.
The Academy’s board noted that when theaters reopen, the exemption will no longer be applicable.
Major upcoming film festivals, such as the Toronto International Film Festival and the New York Film Festival, are reportedly considering remote, digital viewing options as well.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Govt will ensure Pakistan fulfills its enormous maritime potential, ...01:22 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Seven-day anti-polio drive starts across Sindh12:36 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020