Grenade attack killed at least two at mosque in southern Philippines
According to the local police, a grenade was lobbed into a mosque in a mosque before dawn, killing two Muslim religious leaders. The victims were reportedly sleeping inside the mosque at the time of the attack.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
The attack, in the city of Zamboanga, occurred three days after deadly twin blasts at a church on a nearby island, Jolo, killing at least 20 people and wounding more than 100 in the attack.
The police said it was too soon to identify a motive for the attack, adding that the attack can possibly be retaliation for the Jolo bombing, but they also cautioned against speculation.
At least 20 killed, 77 injured as twin bombs hit ... 10:06 AM | 27 Jan, 2019
MANILA — At least 20 people were killed and more than 75 got injured after two bombs exploded outside a Roman ...
The southern Philippines has a Muslim majority, which has long been plagued by insurgencies.
The Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the church attack in Jolo, which it said was carried out by suicide bombers.
- Google suspends paid apps in Pakistan10:21 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Imran Khan calls for immediate release of 'ailing' Azam Swati09:08 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- South Korea beat Portugal in another FIFA World Cup upset08:52 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Sania Mirza shares more pictures with son amid divorce rumours07:53 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Prince Harry and Meghan's Netflix docuseries gets trailer release07:32 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022