At least 20 killed, dozens injured in explosion at Afghanistan mosque
The Jawadia mosque said to be the site of the blast, is in the Dehr Abad area in Herat city, the regional centre of the Herat province, bordering Iran.
#HERAT - At least 20 killed, 30 wounded in Herat city blast at Jawadia Mosque, Dehr Abad area in Herat city, hospital officials confirm.— TOLOnews (@TOLOnews) August 1, 2017
The mosque was attended by the members of the local Shiite minority.
A local health official, Dr. Mohammed Rafique Shehrzad, confirmed to the news agency that at least 20 people died in the explosion.
The attack was allegedly carried out by two people, Afghan Tolo News says, citing local security officials.
One of the attackers opened fire on the worshippers gathered at the mosque, after another attacker detonated explosives in front of the facility, the news outlet noted.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
The Afghan Shiite minority has been repeatedly threatened by Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) extremists that operate in the eastern parts of the country.
The incident comes just a week after a massive blast rocked the Afghan capital, Kabul.
According to the Afghan Interior Ministry, 35 people died and 40 others were injured in that explosion. The attack was claimed by the Taliban.
- Rice charity by Saudi Arabia draws ire in Pakistan03:08 PM | 12 May, 2021
- #WestandwithGaza, PM Imran reiterates support to Palestinians amid ...01:18 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Mariyam Nafees shares pictures from her Dua-e-Khair11:51 PM | 11 May, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat shares an adorable throwback picture09:01 PM | 11 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021