Senior journalist Ayaz Amir assaulted in Lahore
LAHORE – Senior journalist and televangelist Ayaz Amir suffered injuries after being thrashed by unidentified men on Friday.
The senior journalist was reportedly traveling back home after leaving the premises of a private news channel when he was subjected to a physical assault near Abbott Road in provincial capital. The group of men also snatched his personal belonging including his cell phone.
Ayaz told a local journalist that his vehicle was blocked and nearly six people tortured him and his driver. The attackers reportedly were wearing face masks.
Social media users also shared pictures of Ayaz who suffered injuries.
This is getting nastier by the day. Attack on Ayaz Amir is deplorable. This didn’t happen even during Martial laws. This is on @CMShehbaz Will he explain this and dare ask somebody to stop this pic.twitter.com/kGBTBfAyUG— Amir Mateen (@AmirMateen2) July 1, 2022
Senior journalist and Chief Editor Daily Pakistan Mujeeb-ur-Rehman Shami condemned the attack on Ayaz Amir. Mr. Shami called it a challenge for the incumbent authorities to trace the culprits and punish them as per the law.
Former Prime Minister Imran Khan among several journalists and TV pundits condemned the incident.
Pakistan descending into the worst kind of fascism with violence and fake FIRs against journalists, politicians, and citizens, Khan said, adding the state loses all moral authority and resorts to violence.
Shocking & condemnable attack on Ayaz Amir in Islamabad this eve. Pak is now descending into fascism where the State is brazenly using violence to suppress any even perceived dissent by all means available. Return to dark days of dictator Zia who gave birth to Sharif pol mafia pic.twitter.com/E5rBMzbhlH— Shireen Mazari (@ShireenMazari1) July 1, 2022
Utterly reprehensible attack on Ayaz Amir one of Pakistan's most respected news commentators in Islamabad. Better ban freedom of speech through a state decree than beating into silence those exercising the right to free speech enshrined in the constitution of Pakistan. pic.twitter.com/fHTm2VCrpE— Kamran Khan (@AajKamranKhan) July 1, 2022
Senior journalist #AyazAmir attacked in #Lahore.The pattern is clear.People with criminal backgrounds also ordered to register bogus FIRs against many journalists for questioning #RCO— Arshad Sharif (@arsched) July 1, 2022
Were criminals tasked to
attack Ayaz Amir after historic speech on #RegimeChangeOperation? pic.twitter.com/UPvVvkqH1v
The noted analyst comes under attack a day after he slammed ousted Pakistani premier Imran Khan in an event organized by the party.
Ayaz while speaking at the event held the PTI chief responsible for the troubles the South Asian country is facing. Lashing out at the cricketer-turned-politician, Ayaz said you handed over Pakistan to property dealers, to which Khan smiled in response.
WATCH - Journalist Asad Toor attacked by ... 11:28 AM | 26 May, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Pakistani journalist Asad Ali Toor has been reportedly assaulted at his residence in the federal ...
- Fawad Ch reveals what Army Chief told Imran Khan about having ...09:44 AM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Bakhtawar Bhutto shares health update on Asif Ali Zardari09:15 AM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:44 AM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 29 September 202208:18 AM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Kinza Hashmi and Ameer Gilani gear up for new project09:23 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Ranbir Kapoor celebrates pre-birthday party11:38 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Srha Asghar and husband announce pregnancy08:21 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022