‘Listen to us now’: Putin unveils new ‘invincible’ nuclear weapons
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday announced his country is developing a series of nuclear weapon systems, including a new supersonic cruise missile capable of overcoming NATO defence systems.
The new weapons include underwater drones capable of launching nuclear strikes and a hypersonic missile that has unlimited range, the Russia Today reports.
President #Putin announced #Russia's new hypersonic Sarmat ICBM capable of outmanoeuvring any existing missile defence is ready - it's a response to US abandoning anti-missile defense treaty and building up its potential. No one listened to us before, so listen to Russia now pic.twitter.com/LoPQGSebgp
He confirmed tests of a new intercontinental ballistic missile complex (ICBM) codenamed Sarmat. Weighing more than 200 tonnes, the system has an increased range over its predecessor, and able to fly at minimal altitude, he claimed.
“No anti-missile system - even in the future - has a hope of getting in its way,” said the president.
The nuclear-powered cruise missile had been successfully tested in late 2017 as the president showed a video apparently of the test. The video showed the missile’s firing into the sky and then flying, before switching to a graphic that simulated the rocket’s meandering around the globe, headed toward the United States before turning south and flying down to the South Atlantic.
"During the flight, the missile has reached the specified power and showcased the necessary propelling force. The launch of the missile and ground tests make it possible to start creating a fundamentally new type of weapons: a strategic complex of nuclear weapons with a nuclear-powered missile," Putin said.
"No one else has such a weapon," Putin added.
Russia deploys nuclear-capable missiles at Nato ... 05:35 PM | 9 Oct, 2016
MOSCOW - Intimidating the western alliance, Russia has deployed nuclear-capable Iskander missiles in its western-most ...
Putin said Russia was developing the array of new weapons in response to the United States’ creation of a missile-defense shield that has been partly deployed in Europe. A refusal to listen to Russia's concerns about the shield, which Moscow has voiced for well over a decade, had forced it to develop a deterrent that could overcome any conceivable kind of missile defense, he said.
"No one listened to us," Putin said. "Listen to us now."
- Pakistan becomes 'fourth most expensive' country in world12:20 AM | 21 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: South Africa beat Pakistan in warm-up match11:44 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani doctor elected to top US health institution National ...11:18 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- PDM revives anti-government movement with protest in Rawalpindi10:51 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani rupee at all-time low against US dollar10:25 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Mansha Pasha celebrates birthday with friends and family04:36 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drugs case: Aryan Khan’s bail plea rejected by Mumbai court03:25 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Ayesha Omar and Shoaib Malik’s new bold photos set internet on fire02:00 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021