Pakistani couple leaves Syria's embattled Ghouta after seven years
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent said on Twitter on Thursday that the Pakistani couple had been evacuated and "delivered to the Pakistani embassy in Syria in co-operation with all concerned parties".
They have been named as Mohammad Fadhl Akram, 73, and Saghran Bibi. They had had to leave their two sons, three daughters and 12 grandchildren behind in the town of Douma. "I hope God protects them," Akram told an international news agency. "I don't want anything else."
#YDay 28/2, @SYRedCrescent managed to #evacuate a Pakistani family from #Eastern_Ghouta to #Damascus. The family was delivered to the Pakistani embassy in #Syria in cooperation with all concerned parties. pic.twitter.com/yrCRt4JJHp
— Syrian Red Crescent (@SYRedCrescent) March 1, 2018
The militant enclave outside Damascus has seen some of the worst bombardment and fighting of the Syrian civil war since Russia-backed government forces launched an assault on February 18.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitoring group, said Akram and his wife were the first people to leave the Eastern Ghouta since Russia ordered daily pauses in bombardment from 09:00 until 14:00 (07:00-12:00 GMT). But it added that their evacuation was the result of months of negotiations by the Pakistani embassy and not the Russian initiative.
“We came across a news story about an old Pakistani couple in Damascus trying to take refuge in the embassy of Pakistan , which belonged to Gujrat district of Punjab province and has been living in Eastern Ghouta since 1988,” Pakistan’s Foreign Office spokesman Dr Mohammad Faisal had said.
Rescuers meanwhile reported that six civilians, including a girl, were killed in fresh government air strikes.
Medics say more than 580 people have been killed in the Eastern Ghouta since the government and its allies intensified their bombardment on 18 February.
500 Syrians including 121 children killed in ... 04:55 PM | 26 Feb, 2018
ALEPPO - Syrian government forces have killed more than 500 civilians during a week of intense bombardment of a rebel ...
The 393,000 civilians trapped in the enclave, the last major rebel stronghold near the capital Damascus , also face severe shortages of food and medical supplies.
More than 340,000 people have been killed since the civil war started in 2011.
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019