Pakistani couple besieged in Syria rescued after 7 years
The couple, 72-year-old Muhammad Fazal Akram and 62-year-old Sughran Bibi, was among the 400,000 civilians, caught in the siege put in place by Bashar al-Assad regime and were trapped in war-ravaged Syria for over seven years.
Pakistan’s diplomatic machinery sprung into action in December through the staff deployed in Damascus which contacted the couple besieged in Eastern Ghouta, after their plight was highlighted by leading daily Pakistan Today.
500 Syrians including 121 children killed in ... 04:55 PM | 26 Feb, 2018
ALEPPO - Syrian government forces have killed more than 500 civilians during a week of intense bombardment of a rebel ...
"We came across a news story about an old Pakistani couple in Damascus trying to take refuge in the embassy of Pakistan, which belonged to Gujrat district of Punjab province and has been living in Eastern Ghouta since 1988," Pakistan's Foreign Office spokesman Dr Mohammad Faisal had said.
According to Middle East Monitor, Akram repeatedly tried to enlist the help of the Pakistani embassy, however, they did not respond.
- Pakistan becomes 'fourth most expensive' country in world12:20 AM | 21 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: South Africa beat Pakistan in warm-up match11:44 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani doctor elected to top US health institution National ...11:18 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- PDM revives anti-government movement with protest in Rawalpindi10:51 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Mansha Pasha celebrates birthday with friends and family04:36 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drugs case: Aryan Khan’s bail plea rejected by Mumbai court03:25 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Ayesha Omar and Shoaib Malik’s new bold photos set internet on fire02:00 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021