Fontgate 2.0 - Did Imran Khan actually submit a document in Cambria to court?
During the Panama Papers probe earlier this year, the Federal Investigation Agency had discovered that the ex-PM’s daughter Maryam Nawaz was the sole shareholder of one of two British Virgin Island companies which had invested in high-end London property, described by the agency as “ill-gotten wealth earned through corrupt practices.”
The joint investigation team’s report stated that she had disclosed her ties to the British Virgin Island's firm in 2006 in a statement written in Calibri font. But Microsoft only made the font publicly available in 2007, leading to speculation that the documents could have been forged.
The internet dubbed the scandal "Fontgate” and it has already resulted in online encyclopedia Wikipedia locking its article on Calibri for editing. The first line of the post says: “Calibri is a humanist sans-serif typeface family designed by Lucas de Groot in 2004 and released to the general public in 2007, with Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows Vista.”
Now, it seems ‘Fontgate 2.0’ is in the making as social media users are trying to launch an internet war - under the hashtag #Cambria - claiming that a letter submitted by Imran Khan in the apex court “is in ‘Cambria’ font which was designed in 2004 but the letter is dated 2003”.
عمران خان کا عدالت میں دیا گیا خط مبینہ کامبریا فونٹ میں ہے جو 2004 میں تیار ہوا۔ خط پر تاریخ 2003 کی درج ہے۔ pic.twitter.com/7Bydzs80kJ
— Habib Akram (@HabibAkram) September 30, 2017
Cambria is a serif font, that means it has serifs while the font used in the document is sans-serif font.
Serifs are the tiny lines at the end of the strokes in fonts.
That means the two legs of uppercase ‘M’ are not parallel to each other in the document, there is only one font that fulfills all these requirements: Optima.
they changed it today on wiki pedia pic.twitter.com/MLkYYc8Hb1
— Zohaib Hassan (@zohaibhassan156) September 30, 2017
Wikipedia is well known for not imposing restrictions on the editing process, and while it is possible to lock articles to avoid anonymous editing this is usually reserved for controversial topics.
However, the question arises whether it makes any difference whether the actual font is Optima, NOT Cambria!
In any case, Optima was available in 2003 and could have been used at the time.
- DG ISI briefs COAS Bajwa on internal security, Afghanistan08:37 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Lt Gen Muhammad Aamer assumes charge as Gujranwala Corps commander08:16 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup – Ireland’s bowler Curtis Campher makes history07:56 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Gobi's Paints Polo Cup: FC Polo Team win trophy07:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- First black US state secretary Colin Powell dies of Covid-1906:37 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ushna Shah sets internet ablaze with new bold pictures04:40 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021