Indian police summons Salman Khan's brother in IPL betting case
"We have called Arbaaz Khan for questioning in connection to the IPL betting scam," Thane police spokesperson Sukhada Narkar told media.
"Further details will be available once his questioning is done and his statement is recorded," Narkar added.
Police say they have smashed a number of betting syndicates across India during this year´s season, which ended last week.
Media reports said Arbaaz's name surfaced in an investigation into high-profile bookie Sonu Jalan, who is said to run an international gambling operation stretching from India to the Middle East.
Arbaaz is an actor and younger brother of Bollywood megastar Salman Khan, known for his money-spinning movies, but who also faces his own legal troubles.
A 2013 spot-fixing scandal led to the Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals being suspended for two seasons and Shanthakumaran Sreesanth, a Rajasthan Royals bowler, receiving a life ban along with teammates Ankit Chavan and Ajit Chandila.
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) May 27, 2018
Scores of bookies were also arrested as part of the probe into allegations that players had underperformed in return for cash.
On May 28, Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings lifted IPL 2018 title, thrashing Sunrisers Hyderabad by eight wickets in the summit clash at the jam-packed Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...07:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- UNGA session: FM Qureshi leaves for New York06:52 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mirza Ishtiaq Baig included in PML-N’s economic advisory council06:12 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- GSV overwhelmed by PFL franchise bids from around the world05:43 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- TikTok star Jannat Mirza's new video goes viral04:35 PM | 20 Sep, 2021