UN expresses alarm at statelessness risk for 1.9m people in India’s Assam
UNITED NATIONS – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Filippo Grandi Monday expressed his concern over the publication of a National Register of Citizens (NRC) that puts 1.9 million people, mostly Muslims, in India’s north-eastern state of Assam at risk of becoming stateless.
“Any process that could leave large numbers of people without a nationality would be an enormous blow to global efforts to eradicate statelessness,” High Commissioner Grandi said in a statement in Geneva.
“I appeal to India to ensure that no one is rendered stateless by this action, including by ensuring adequate access to information, legal aid, and legal recourse in accordance with the highest standards of due process.”
India prepares to strip millions of Muslims with ... 01:07 PM | 31 Aug, 2019
ASSAM - After committing gross human rights’ violations in Occupied Kashmir, Modi-led Hindu nationalist Indian ...
While acknowledging that India has a sovereign right and authority to establish who is an Indian national, UNHCR urged the government to take steps that mitigate the risk of any individual being left stateless as a result of the NRC update in Assam or similar processes that may take place in other states in India, and calls on the authorities to refrain from detaining or deporting anyone whose nationality has not been verified through this process.
New Delhi recently published the final version of National Register of Citizens, a list which effectively strips about 1.9 million people in the north-eastern state of their citizenship.
India's Kashmir move unacceptable, says US ... 06:15 PM | 1 Sep, 2019
WASHINTON - US Senator Bernie Sanders said on Sunday that India's move to annex occupied Kashmir was "unacceptable", ...
- Refugee Conference: UN ready to participate in Afghan reconciliation ...11:30 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- LHC summons DG Rescue-1122 over plea challenging his reappointment10:48 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- UN resolutions on Kashmir need implementation, UNSG Guterres tells ...09:39 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- realme Pakistan teases one of the much-awaited entry-level ...08:55 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan gets highest-ever $200m GCF grant to redress environment ...08:49 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Riz Ahmed to debut play about his 'toxic breakup' with UK12:27 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Shaniera Akram shares her experience of working in debut film11:58 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Jaafar Jackson is amazed by Pakistani hospitality during visit11:55 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019