Karachiites thrash policemen for stopping Friday prayer
KARACHI - A police party was assaulted when they stopped the people from offering Juma prayer in the city's Liaquatabad area on Friday.
According to police, a local mosque’s Imam led the Friday prayers despite the three-hour complete lockdown in place. Upon violation, the officials tried to stop the prayers but were attacked by the violators.
Two policemen were injured during the scuffle while others took the shelter in nearby houses. "People were instigated by the local prayer leader when he was told about the ban on congregational prayers,” the police added.
Provincial authorities took strong measures today to ensure a complete lockdown across Sindh from 12 to 3:30 pm. Movement of people was also suspended during these hours as the streets and roads wore a deserted look.
The measures were put in place to stop the public from going to mosques for Friday prayers and avoid the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
In a statement issued on Thursday night, Sindh Information and Local Government Minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah formally announced the lockdown. He said that stopping people from the congregational prayers was a painful act, but it was an unavoidable measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus epidemic.
Sindh Home Department also issued a notification to order complete closure of public, private, transport, business other public activities on Friday.
Pakistan has seen more than 2,480 cases of the coronavirus, with 36 deaths, till this posting the news.
- Latest pics of Nawaz Sharif, having coffee in London, take Twitter by ...09:57 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Pakistan makes face masks mandatory amid record daily deaths from ...09:07 PM | 30 May, 2020
- PAF officer, who died in PIA plane crash, laid to rest in Karachi08:19 PM | 30 May, 2020
- First Covid-19 death reported among KP nurses07:20 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020