Coldplay pays tribute to Amjad Sabri in their latest album
The late Amjad Sabri was undoubtedly a great qawwal, with millions of fans in Pakistan. But, did you know that he ruled over the hearts of many across the globe as well? Coldplay’s latest album Everyday Life features Amjad Sabri and we couldn't be more proud!
In a recent interview with Entercom, Coldplay’s lead singer Chris Martin spoke about what inspired him to make it. He described ‘Church’,’ the second song on the album — also released as a single — as a love song that “fell through the sky."
Introducing the Qawwali legend in his interview, Martin said, “There are two cool other singers on that one. There’s this guy who was a Pakistani singer, called Amjad Sabri . He was sadly murdered by people who didn’t like what he stood for. Then there’s a friend of ours called Norah who is a guy from Jerusalem.”
Sabri’s voice — sampled from ‘Jaga Ji Laganay’ — is soul-stirring and elevates the track, with its atmospheric soundscape that’s classic Coldplay .
The band’s album has also landed at number 1 spot on this week’s Official Albums Chart.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- PSL Draft 2020: Franchises pick players from platinum, diamond, gold ...08:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Justice (retd) Altaf Ibrahim takes oath as acting ECP chief06:15 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019