Ben Stokes scores England's fastest double century in Tests
The all-rounder, 74 overnight, raced to 200 in 163 balls in Cape Town to beat Ian Botham's 220-ball England record.
Only New Zealand's Nathan Astle has reached the landmark more quickly, off 153 balls against England in 2002.
Stokes, 24, was unbeaten on 204 and Jonny Bairstow 95 as England took lunch on 513-5, with the stand worth 290.
England, 1-0 up in the four-match series and resuming on 317-5 on Sunday, added 196 in 25 overs in a thrilling morning session, the BBC Sports reported.
Stokes hit five fours in the opening two overs of the day and smashed spinner Dane Piedt for 16 in three balls, moving from 150 to his double century in just 28 deliveries.
Fastest Test double centuries
153 balls: Nathan Astle, New Zealand v England, Christchurch, 2002
163 balls: Ben Stokes, England v South Africa, Cape Town, 2016
168 balls: Virender Sehwag, India v Sri Lanka, Mumbai, 2009
182 balls: Virender Sehwag, India v Pakistan, Lahore, 2006
186 balls: Brendon McCullum, New Zealand v Pakistan, Sharjah, 2014
- Two Pakistani soldiers martyred in Dir blast: ISPR02:19 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan Air Force releases special song to celebrate 76th ...12:40 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Ayeza Khan’s new swimming pool video sets internet on fire11:23 AM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Alizeh Shah looks stunning in latest photos07:15 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022