US presses Pakistan-India for resolution of water tussle
The latest dispute between two nuclear-armed neighbours erupted regarding two hydroelectric power plants Kishanganga and Ratle, that India is building on the Indus rivers system. Pakistan expressed concerns fearing that the construction is in flagrant contradiction to the Indus Waters Treaty inked in 1960.
Earlier this week, US Secretary of State John Kerry made a telephone call to Finance Minister Ishaq Dar and discussed with him different options for settlement of the dispute. After the call, US Ambassador to Pakistan David Hale also called on Mr Dar in Islamabad for further talks.
According to a report by Dawn News, the Obama administration is worried in the aftermath of escalated tension between the two rivals and is thinking up ways and means to ease the tension between them.
Moreover, it was also observed that India wanted to maximise use of water from Indus, Chenab and Jhelum rivers.
The Indus Water Treaty signed in 1960 deals with water distribution and sharing of the six rivers of the Indus basin, of which the three eastern rivers Beas, Sutlej, Ravi were allocated to India and the three western rivers Jhelum, Chenab and Indus to Pakistan.
The World Bank had brokered the agreement and have a role in dispute resolution. It was also responsible for the provision of funds to both countries that would allow them to construct several dams and canals to fulfil their needs.
Earlier, World Bank suspended its role of arbitration to resolve the Indus Water Treaty issues between Pakistan and India over the matter of two dam projects being constructed by India to give both countries a chance to seek an alternate solution.
- MDCAT mandatory for admission to medical colleges, rules Pakistan's ...09:04 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan set to join ADB’s first ever Energy Transition Mechanism08:35 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Two million Pakistanis to go abroad for jobs in next 2 years, hopes ...07:45 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Bloodbath at PSX as KSE-100 index plummets over 2,000 points07:08 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Tourism Dept committed to restoring museums, historical sites in ...06:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Minal Khan shares a dreamy throwback video from her Maldives vacation04:20 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Salman Khan's family not invited to Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal's ...03:45 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Merub Ali spills the beans about her relationship with Asim Azhar03:15 PM | 2 Dec, 2021