Zardari for 'financially' independent election commission
Zardari, while addressing at a ceremony to mark 39th death anniversary of PPP founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, congratulated PTI Chief Imran Khan and the government over their agreement to probe into the allegations of rigging in general elections 2013. The terms of reference (TORs) of the agreed accord are not enough to establish a transparent electoral process in the country however, he added.
The former president argued that free and fair elections in Pakistan can only be held if there is an election commission who is independent in terms of financial matters. Parliament is the place to bring about a real change, he declared.
Asif Ali Zardari, who is currently functioning as co-chairman of PPP, asked the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to avoid any decision making about the crisis in Yemen saying “every Muslim can die for the protection of sacred places in Saudi Arabia but we need to weigh our options and consequences”.
I do stand by the current government of Nawaz Sharif but the premier should also support his own government, he urged.
The co-chairman said the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan have seen enough blood spilled and the lives of our children are still under danger.
On the occasion, he also paid regards to the services of former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto saying the democracy is fruit of their sacrifices and people must care about it.
- IHC larger bench discharges contempt notice against ex-PM Imran Khan02:15 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Shahnawaz Amir’s remand extended in Sarah Inam murder case01:34 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- CM Pervez Elahi inaugurates Punjab Ehsaas Rashan Riayat Programme12:47 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...11:53 AM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 03 October 202211:48 AM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Ali Sethi and Shae Gill take 'Pasoori' to live concert in London07:00 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Naimal Khawar's post workout glow leaves fans stunned09:02 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Hira Mani and Rahim Pardesi's new song 'Mera Naam' is out now08:35 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- US cipher is a reality, says PTI05:20 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022