Adnan Sami Khan gets indefinite stay in India
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju on Tuesday conveyed to Lok Sabha that Sami has been exempted from deportation proceedings under Section 3 of the Foreigners Act, the NDTV reported.
This came after the 46-year-old singer submitted a representation to the Home Ministry on May 26, 2015 requesting his stay in India on humanitarian grounds. The representation submitted by Mr Sami, a Pakistani national, has been considered carefully by the Home Ministry.
"Now, therefore, in pursuance of the powers conferred under section 3A of Foreigners Act, 1946 (31 of 1946), the central government being of the opinion that it is necessary and expedient in public interest to do so, hereby declared that provisions of clauses (c) and (e) of sub-section (2) of section 3 of the Foreigners Act 1946 and paragraph 11 of the Foreigners Order, 1948 shall not apply to the said Mr Adnan Sami Khan, son of late Arshad Sami Khan and he is exempted from deportation proceedings.
This order shall remain valid untill further orders are issued on the subject," the Home Ministry order said.
Lahore-born, Adnan Sami had first arrived in India on March 13, 2001 on a visitor's visa with the validity of one year which was issued by the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
His visa was extended from time to time. His Pakistani passport issued on May 27, 2010 expired on May 26, 2015 and his passport was not renewed by the Pakistan government which forced him to approach the Indian government with the request to legalise his stay in India on humanitarian grounds.
Mr Sami's two songs from the album, Kabhi To Nazar Milao and Lift Karaa De whose music video starred the popular Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan, were a sensation in early 2000s.
- Pakistani companies come forward to develop Reko Diq gold, copper ...10:59 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Pakistan’s Faisal Edhi seeks Palestine visa amid Israeli bombardment10:53 PM | 17 May, 2021
- CSS exam lays bare FPSC fault lines yet again10:12 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Indian numerologist comes up with a ‘cure’ for coronavirus09:56 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Petroleum prices to remain unchanged as PM Imran rejects OGRA's ...09:38 PM | 17 May, 2021
- #JusticeForZuhaMalik trends after TikToker shares videos of torture ...06:22 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Katrina Kaif sends birthday greetings to rumoured boyfriend Vicky ...04:14 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Saboor Aly shares a heartfelt note about ‘soulmate’06:56 PM | 17 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021