Saudi Arabia deposits $3bn in Pakistan's central bank
Support package will help ease pressure on forex reserves
KARACHI – Saudi Arabia has deposited $3 billion in Pakistan's foreign reserves for one year at 4% interest under a support package, Adviser to the Prime Minister on Finance Shaukat Tarin confirmed Saturday.
The grant is a major relief for the South Asian country which is suffering from economic challenges with sliding foreign reserves, a widening current account deficit, a depreciating currency, and high inflation.
“Good news, US$3 billion Saudi deposit received by SBP,” PM’s aide said on Twitter, thanking Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and the kingdom for the kind gesture.
Good news, US$3 billion Saudi deposit received by SBP. I want to thank His Excellency Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the kind gesture.— Shaukat Tarin (@shaukat_tarin) December 4, 2021
Earlier, the State Bank of Pakistan signed an agreement with the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD) to receive $3 billion to shore up its depleting foreign exchange reserves.
A statement issued by the central bank on Monday cited “Under this deposit agreement, SFD shall place a deposit of USD 3 billion with SBP. The deposit amount under the agreement shall become part of SBP’s Foreign Exchange Reserves.”
The Saudi support package also includes a $1.2 billion oil loan facility. It was agreed during Prime Minister Imran Khan’s visit to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia last month.
‘Special relationship’ – Saudi Arabia, ... 06:50 PM | 29 Nov, 2021
KARACHI – The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and Saudi Fund for Development (SFD) on Monday signed a deposit ...
The development come a week after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreed with Islamabad on measures needed to revive a stalled $6 billion funding programme.
- Justice Ayesha Malik takes oath as Pakistan's first-ever woman ...09:52 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan logs 7,195 new infections, 8 deaths as Covid positivity ...09:29 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:06 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 24 January 202208:41 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Taliban delegation begins talks with Western officials, rights ...11:52 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021