Miley Cyrus settles $300 million song lawsuit
Miley Cyrus has sorted a $US300 million ($432 million) copyright infringement lawsuit by a Jamaican songwriter. The pop star was accused of snaveling her 2013 smash We Can't Stop from a similar song he recorded about 25 years ago.
Michael May, who performs as Flourgon, took legal action against Cyrus in March 2018, claiming that We Can't Stop is identical to his 1988 song We Run Things, which he called a reggae favorite since listed as No. 1 in his home country.
May indicted Cyrus and her label RCA Records, of misappropriating material including the phrase "We run things. Things no run we," which she sang as "We run things. Things don't run we."
May, Cyrus, Sony and other defendants lodged a joint prerequisite in Manhattan federal court on Friday ending the lawsuit with prejudice, which means that it cannot be filed again.
According to Cyrus' lawyers a settlement agreement had been signed, and that the stipulation would be registered "pending payment of the settlement proceeds," which were not specified.
May and Cyrus’ lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Iran urges Saudi Arabia to work together to resolve problems10:09 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- PIA detected 466 fake degree-holders in last 5 years09:45 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan on right track after tackling inherited economic woes, says ...08:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Naming Babar Azam as captain, PCB announces squad for T20 matches ...08:14 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- China rejects US diplomat's 'negative propaganda' against CPEC ...08:01 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- HBO Max orders royal family comedy ‘The Prince’02:55 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Mahira Khan asks Shireen Mazari for an update on the Zainab bill02:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019