CWC 2019, Match 7 - Live Score: Afghanistan win toss, opt fielding first against Sri Lanka
CARDIFF - Afghanistan won the toss and elected to field first against Sri Lanka in the 7th encounter of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff on Tuesday.
The match would start at 2.30 PM (09:30 AM GMT / 10:30 AM LOCAL).
Afghanistan captain Gulbadin Naib has played down the weather threat ahead of their World Cup match against Sri Lanka on Tuesday, saying a rain-shortened game would suit his aggressive side.
Forecasts predict persistent rain in Cardiff, which could play havoc with Afghanistan's bid to get their first win in this year's tournament.
Naib's team were given a harsh lesson by holders Australia, who cruised to a seven-wicket win in the opening game for both teams in Bristol on Saturday.
But Naib believes his team have a better chance of success against Sri Lanka, whom they beat by 91 runs in last year's Asia Cup in the United Arab Emirates, if the contest is reduced from the scheduled 50 overs-per-side due to the weather.
Asked on Monday if he was worried about rain derailing Afghanistan's hopes, a relaxed Naib told reporters: "It was also predicted for today, but it didn't rain so much.
"Tomorrow we just see what's the weather. I think maybe the weather will be the same. So if we can reduce the overs it will be much better for us."
Despite the defeat against Australia, Naib says Afghanistan were encouraged by parts of their performance and he hopes to build on that in the Sri Lanka match.
"We've got to be positive. If you look, we missed out on 12 overs in the previous game, yet we scored 200-plus," Naib said.
"If you have wickets in hand, so maybe the score is 300-plus something."
Sri Lanka were dismissed for a paltry 136 by New Zealand in their first World Cup match in Cardiff and Naib plans to prey on those batting weaknesses.
Afghanistan's squad for World Cup 2019: Gulbadin Naib (c), Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Noor Ali Zadran, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Najibullah Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Dawlat Zadran, Aftab Alam, Hamid Hassan, Mujeeb ur Rahman
Sri Lanka's squad for World Cup 2019: Dimuth Karunaratne (c), Avishka Fernando, Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Malinga, Angelo Mathews, Jeevan Mendis, Kusal Mendis (wk), Kusal Perera (wk), Thisara Perera, Nuwan Pradeep, Dhananjaya de Silva, Milinda Siriwardana, Lahiru Thirimanne, Isuru Udana, Jeffrey Vandersay
- Pakistan celebrities in shock over blast in Lahore’s Anarkali Bazaar05:40 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan Navy assumes command of multinational Combined Task Force-15005:18 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Three dead, 26 injured in Lahore blast02:50 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- FBR freezes Aima Baig’s all bank accounts over unpaid income tax10:40 AM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Sharmila Faruqui comes face to face with Nadia Khan for mocking her ...10:21 PM | 19 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021