Myanmar soldiers use threatening TikTok videos to curb protests against military coup
Myanmar soldiers and police officials are reportedly sharing their short videos on TikTok with threatening messages to protesters against the military coup that had toppled down Aung Sun Suu Kyi’s government last month.
Digital rights group Myanmar ICT for Development (Mido) said it had found over 800 video on TikTok threatening violence at protesters.
The matter surfaced a day after military troops, according to the United Nations, on Wednesday killed at least 38 protesters.
“It’s just the tip of the iceberg,” said Mido executive director Htaike Htaike Aung.
One of the video shows a man in military uniform saying: "I will shoot in your f*cking faces... I’m using real bullets."
Another video of a soldier from Myanmar military threatened citizens that they can shoot 30 people with just one gun load within a minute.
(eng) A video of a soldier from Myanmar Military threatens us, Myanmar citizens that they can shoot 30 people with just one gun load within a minute. In below, u can check his TikTok acc. #HearTheVoiceOfMyanmar#RespectOurVotes #savemyanmar#SayNoToMyanmarMilitaryCoup pic.twitter.com/Oc6k21amhl— Ral🇲🇲SaveMyanmar (@RalXiuHan4ever) February 4, 2021
On the other hand, TikTok said that it is removing the content promoting violence in the country.
Myanmar coup: Aung San Suu Kyi arrested as ... 01:00 PM | 1 Feb, 2021
NAYPYITAW – The Myanmar army toppled the elected government early on the morning of February 1st after detaining ...
- PAKvENG: Pakistan bat first against England in 5th T20I07:00 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Sara Inam laid to rest in Islamabad; father vows to fight till ...06:56 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- BCCI rejects England's offer to host Pakistan-India series06:33 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Ahmed Ali Butt and Ahmed Ali Akbar trolled for recreating Oscar slap06:12 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Hamza Ali Abbasi pens a sweet birthday wish for sister Dr Fazeela03:59 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022