Lifetime disqualification: Pakistan’s top judge terms Article 62-1(f) as ‘draconian law’
ISLAMABAD – Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Umar Ata Bandial termed Article 62 1-F of the constitution a ‘draconian law’ during the hearing of an appeal filed by PTI leader Faisal Vawda.
A three-member bench of the apex court, led by Chief Justice of Pakistan, heard the appeal.
CJP Bandial while terming Article 62 (1)(f) as a draconian law, said the court we will hear this case with caution and in detail.
Earlier, former ruling party leader Faisal Vawda moved the apex court to appeal against the order of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP). He prayed to the court to set aside the order of the ECP and the IHC.
PTI leader maintained that the electoral watchdog order and the IHC judgment are arbitrary and without lawful authority and of no legal effect, maintaining that move opposes judgments of the Supreme Court.
Earlier, several politicians including deposed premier Nawaz Sharif were disqualified under Article 62 (1) (f) of the Constitution.
Article 62(1)(f) sets the precondition for a member of parliament to be honest and righteous, and the PML-N supremo was disqualified under the same provision in the Panama Papers case.
Disqualification under article 62 (1) (f) to ... 08:18 AM | 13 Apr, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court has unanimously announced that the disqualification under Article 62 (1)(f) of the ...
Estranged PTI leader Jahangir Tareen was also disqualified by a separate bench of the apex court under the same provision.
- Pakistan win seven gold, 11 silver medals at South Asian Karate ...10:11 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- PIA to operate third direct flight to China from December09:41 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- TTP ends cease-fire, announces fresh attacks in Pakistan09:25 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- Punjab becomes first Pakistani province to move towards Web 3.008:57 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- Katrina Kaif falls prey to 'Mera Dil Yeh Pukare Aaja' virus07:12 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- Celebrities attend Maryam Rashdi's birthday party07:59 PM | 28 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022