Army chief visits Iran, will meet civilian & military leadership: ISPR
RAWALPINDI - In a major development in Pakistan-Iran relations, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Sunday arrived in Tehran on an official visit, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
COAS arrived Tehran, Iran on official visit. Scheduled to meet Iranian civilian and military leadership.— DG ISPR (@OfficialDGISPR) November 5, 2017
Gen Bajwa’s trip is being attached a lot of importance because it could help the two overcome the distrust that has kept them apart. Islamabad and Tehran profess good relations and the two do not have any territorial disputes. However, they have had conflicting geo-political worldviews and resultantly remained on the opposite sides of regional alignments. This has quite often caused unease in relations.
Gen Bajwa as part of GHQ’s defence diplomacy laid special emphasis on narrowing the trust gulf with Iran.
In one of his earlier meetings with Ambassador Honardoost, Gen Bajwa had told him that “enhanced Pak-Iran military-to-military cooperation will have a positive impact on regional peace and stability.” This seems to be driving his approach on Iran.
An analyst closely following Pak-Iran relations said when Gen Bajwa landed in Tehran many in Iran would be waiting to hear progress about the recovery of one of the border guards — Saeed Barati — who had been kidnapped by terrorists during the April attack near Mirjaveh border.
Iran had been seeking the Pakistan government’s help for securing Barati’s release from terrorists’ custody.
- Carrefour Pakistan supports 50 deserving families in Lahore07:10 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Dead of the Century? Palestine rejects Trump's proposed Middle East ...06:57 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- No Pakistani residing in China affected by coronavirus, says top envoy06:39 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan students in China demand government to evacuate them at once05:54 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Woman killed, five injured after being hit by US Embassy vehicle05:45 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Khalil ur Rehman's Meray Paas tum Ho trends worldwide on Twitter12:47 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Bambi is next up for Disney ‘Live-Action’ remake12:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Here’s everything that happened at the 4th Hum Style Awards12:25 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019