Army chief visits Iran, will meet civilian & military leadership: ISPR
COAS arrived Tehran, Iran on official visit. Scheduled to meet Iranian civilian and military leadership.— DG ISPR (@OfficialDGISPR) November 5, 2017
Gen Bajwa’s trip is being attached a lot of importance because it could help the two overcome the distrust that has kept them apart. Islamabad and Tehran profess good relations and the two do not have any territorial disputes. However, they have had conflicting geo-political worldviews and resultantly remained on the opposite sides of regional alignments. This has quite often caused unease in relations.
Gen Bajwa as part of GHQ’s defence diplomacy laid special emphasis on narrowing the trust gulf with Iran.
In one of his earlier meetings with Ambassador Honardoost, Gen Bajwa had told him that “enhanced Pak-Iran military-to-military cooperation will have a positive impact on regional peace and stability.” This seems to be driving his approach on Iran.
An analyst closely following Pak-Iran relations said when Gen Bajwa landed in Tehran many in Iran would be waiting to hear progress about the recovery of one of the border guards — Saeed Barati — who had been kidnapped by terrorists during the April attack near Mirjaveh border.
Iran had been seeking the Pakistan government’s help for securing Barati’s release from terrorists’ custody.
- Multiple blasts leave two dead, 20 injured in Afghanistan’s ...07:45 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Shehbaz Sharif, son Hamza summoned in money laundering case06:44 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- PCB chairman Ramiz Raja speaks on New Zealand abandoning Pakistan ...06:06 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistani celebs express disappointment after NZ tour called off05:30 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- ‘Dafaa Hojao Tum’ — Resham set to star in Faseeh Bari Khan's ...04:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Areeba Habib-starrer ‘Nehar’ to highlight the issue of dowry04:35 PM | 18 Sep, 2021