Malaysian PM Najib announces dissolution of parliament paving way for election
Razak, who is seeking another mandate after remaining PM of the country for nine years, made this announcement in a televised speech after a special cabinet meeting. The prime minister said that he already get approval from King Sultan Muhammad V in this regard.
The Election Commission of Malaysia has not announced any date for next elections. Normally, the elections for 222-member House of Representatives are held within two months after the dissolution of the parliament.
The premier during his speech highlights achievements of his government, including a 5.9 percent GDP growth in the last year and creation of high numbers of jobs.
Najib, who heads the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), said: "We have delivered and we will continue to deliver," said Najib, adding that "if we won, we pledge that we will implement the best, implement bigger, more inclusive and comprehensive transformation for the people and the nation."
UNMO has been won every election with the coalition of the ruling Barisan Nasional for the past six decades after the independence of the country.
In the upcoming elections, Najib is facing the challenge of former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, 92, who left the UNMO following his ouster over 1MDB scandal in 2016. Later, Mohamad became head of a new political party – Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia - comprising opposition alliance. He hoped that voters will turn to the opposition in this elections instead of ruling coalition.
On Thursday, the authorities asked Mohamad-led PPBM to temporarily dissolved itself for not filing certain documents. The former prime minister has decided to challenge the decision. In case of failure, the PPBM members will have to contest election as individuals.
In the last general election held in 2013, BN managed to win 133 out of the 222 seats, though it obtained less than half of the popular votes.
- Jazz secures Telecom sector’s largest credit facility, fully ...07:58 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- President Alvi for transparency in recruitment process of FPSC07:24 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Tarin chairs meeting of Cabinet Committee on Privatization07:05 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Enhanced Pak-Turkey cooperation will have positive impact on regional ...06:43 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- ‘I don’t have a big belly,’ Abdul Qavi responds to his viral ...04:30 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- The Undertaker challenges Akshay Kumar to a 'real match'04:06 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Ushna Shah addresses the backlash over her criticism directed at ...03:42 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan seeks explanation from HBO management for censoring PM ...11:02 AM | 23 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021