Indian arrested in Jeddah for blasphemy
The unnamed Indian expat was taken into custody at the airport for ‘liking’ blasphemous image which depicted the Kaaba covered in Hindu deities and ultimately got displayed on his social-media profile.
According to reports, the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (Haia) was reported to be an Saudi national who was offended by the image.
The Indian who has been living in Saudi Arabia for the past two years claims the post was shared accidentally. Investigators however suspect he is guilty of violating the law.
Indian Consul General BS Mubarak confirmed that an investigation was underway. “We are trying to help him in the best possible way,” he said.
Legal experts believe the consulate will only be able to enter a plea on his behalf only after investigations have concluded and a verdict is issued.
Article 6 of the Anti-Cyber Crime law in the KSA prevents disruption of public order and morals through the creation/dissemination of electronic materials, and the country has made it to the list of 'Worst Countries for Religious Freedom'.
- Tiktok launches Urdu safety center in Pakistan04:11 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan's interior minister visits Siachen, pays tribute to martyrs ...03:47 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan initiates dialogue with Taliban for an inclusive Afghan ...03:18 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Sindh announces public holiday on Sept 22 to mark Urs of Shah Abdul ...02:33 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Watch: PIA flight receives water cannon salute in Syria01:49 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021