Three-day Punjab festival kicks off in Lahore
The grand event, which saw the participation of more than 5,000 people from all walks of life on the first day, has been organized by Punjabi Parchar – a local organization leading the fight for the status of Punjabi language.
Actor Rashid Mahmood, while addressing the inaugural ceremony, stressed the need of organizing such festivals to keep alive the rich culture and traditions of Punjab.
Terrorism had ruined not only economy but our culture, the minister said while calling upon the authorities to hold more public fairs and festivals in the province.
Punjabi is spoken by over 44% of 200 million Pakistanis. It is the lingua franca of two-thirds of the population in Punjab but it does not have the status of official language even in the province. In Pakistan, Punjabi is written in the Shahmukhi script.
Rashid said the Punjabi language symbolises the most populous province of Pakistan and deserves due respect.
He hoped it will help tackle the trends of intolerance among the Pakistani society besides promoting peace in the South Asian country.
A musical night featuring the legendary classical singer, Ustad Hamid Ali Khan, followed the opening ceremony.
The Punjab Festival will continue till Sunday.
- A Star-studded Launch of the realme 8 Series Awaits with a ...06:59 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Historic as 4-year-old Pakistani girl becomes youngest Microsoft ...06:26 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- IHC rejects plea seeking cancellation of O/A level exams06:08 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM: Zimbabwe beat Pakistan by 19 runs in second T20I05:19 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani ACCA topper Zara Dar pens a heartwarming note about parents04:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II shares a thankful note on 95th birthday03:38 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Actress Sumbul Shahid in critical condition after contracting Covid-1910:01 AM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021