World’s highest polo festival begins in Pakistan's Chitral
Inspector General Frontier Corps Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Major General Rahat Nasim Ahmed Khan inaugurated the festival.
Holding such a big polo festival in Shandoor Valley is a breakthrough reflecting that peace has been restored in the country, the IG-FC said while speaking on the occasion. Arranging polo festival was a difficult task but the security forces and district administrations have made it possible, he added.
Pakistanis have tremendous skills which will be utilized for prosperity and development of the country, he further said while lauding the efforts of Tourism Department Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Gilgit Baltistan and district administrations of Chitral for arranging recreational activities in the festival.
Different colourful programmes including paragliding, food stalls and traditional dances have also been arranged in the festival.
Meanwhile, Ghizar defeated Laspur by 7-8 goals in a polo match on the opening day of the festival.
#Shandur Polo Festival begins today;Shandur is situated at an altitude of 12,500 feet (38000 meters) above sea level is famous for having the highest polo ground of the world https://t.co/vpbmeUKOA4#ShandurFestival#PakistanTourism#BeutifulPakistan pic.twitter.com/zmUMO46KWu— Radio Pakistan (@RadioPakistan) July 7, 2019
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mahmood Khan, who was chief guest on the occasion, said the present government is committed to encourage sports and other healthy activities in the province.
He said billions of rupees have been allocated for this purpose.
Chief Minister expressed satisfaction over the arrangements made by district administration Chitral and Tourism Department Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to facilitate tourists in Shandoor.
He also witnessed long jump and para-gliding competitions.
Chitral attracts thousands of domestic and international tourists annually, especially during the Shandur and Kalash festivals. This year, the number of foreign and domestic tourists is expected to be more than the previous years.
Shandur Polo Festival
Shandur polo ground is located at Shandur Pass at the height of 3,700 meters (12,149 feet) from the sea level between Chitral District and Ghizer District in northern Pakistan . It is often called the ‘Roof of the World’. The top is flat, a plateau and can be crossed between late April and early November.
Free-styled mountain polo is arguably polo in its purest form. This version of the game played at Shandur-Top has attained legendary status and is of great interest to international and domestic adventure tourists alike.
- Hamza Malik likely to be the next big thing, impresses yet again with ...12:35 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Palestinian-Israeli conflict: Pakistan urges UN to play its central ...12:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Cameras installed in Islamabad police uniforms to improve performance11:51 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- I absolutely do not endorse the concepts and viewpoints of Mr Khalil ...03:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019