Govt says Asia Bibi's name not to be put on ECL until proven guilty
During an interview with the Voice of America, the minister while talking about the recent protests held by the religious parties against the acquittal of Bibi said that the verdict announced by the Supreme Court in the case will be upheld by the government.
Govt, TLP reach agreement to end countrywide ... 09:52 PM | 2 Nov, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Negotiations between the government and Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) have reached an agreement to end ...
Speaking about the agreement between the government and TLP which stated that “due process will be followed immediately to place the name of Asia Bibi on ECL”, Afridi said: “If someone cannot be proven guilty then how can we place their name on ECL? There can be no question about that”.
He went on to say, “Among the protesters, there was a group of people who were damaging property for their own personal gains and agenda.” The minister added that the leaders of religious groups had distanced them from the rioters.
Afridi said that several rioters were arrested in a crackdown, adding that those arrested will face the full weight of law. "There will be no compromise on the supremacy of law"
“Asia Bibi and her family is in Pakistan and they are being given security by the government,” he added.
On Oct 31, the apex court overturned the death sentence of Asia Bibi and ordered to immediately released her.
Following the verdict, the religious parties took to the street, causing violence, closure of schools and markets.
The violent protests ended after Negotiations between the government and Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) have reached an agreement.
- Pakistan’s ‘best bank' denies trans rights activist an account ...11:52 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Air Force chief meets Turkish defence industries head11:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Woman accusing Babar Azam of sexual abuse says video of her ...11:08 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Punjab CM Buzdar lays foundation stone of Sheikhupura-Gujranwala road10:45 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- US threatens India with sanctions over purchase of Russian S-400 air ...10:39 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Selena Gomez shares the reason behind calling out Mark Zuckerberg ...07:32 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 30th birthday04:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Details of Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding revealed03:58 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021