Gabriel García Márquez to grace new Colombian 50,000-peso note
The rumors have been circulating since his death in 2014, and last week they announced it at an official ceremony in Bogotá.
'Gabo' was best known for his novels 100 Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera, the famed magical realist will share the bill with two members of the Arawak tribe, a native people of Colombia, who are pictured along with a rendering of La Ciudad Perdida.
While literary figures do not appear on currency often, Marquez finds himself in good companionship.
In the 1990s, Charles Dickens was featured on the British ten-pound note and fellow 19th century novelist Jane Austen will grace the bill beginning in 2017.
Additionally, James Joyce graced Irish currency for a decade before the initiation of the Euro in 2002.
- One killed, 40 injured as Karachi Express coaches derail near Rohri09:40 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan reports 1,780 new Covid-19 cases, 39 deaths08:58 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 07 March 202108:25 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Hasheeh, Shimza, Asad win titles in Hush Puppies Junior National ...11:42 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Twitter finds ‘PTI’ man who attacked PML-N leaders outside ...11:11 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Ertugrul’s Engin Altan receives Indian Television Academy Award05:18 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Shehnaaz Gill and Badshah’s new song is a treat for the fans07:25 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife wishes to reconcile for their children04:21 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021