US to review K1 fiance visa process after San Bernardino attack
Briefing reporters at the White House, Press Josh Earnest said that President Barack Obama ordered the review during his address to the nation on Sunday. The K1 visa is often a visa that is essentially used to allow fiances of American citizens to enter the United States.
"Those who go through this visa programme are subjected to rigorous screening, but obviously this incident begs questions about whether or not additional measures or reforms need to be implemented," he added.
One of the attackers Tashfeen Malik entered the United States on K1 visa and married to US-born Syed Farook, the other assailant who took part in the Decemebr 2 attack in the state of California.
Both the Homeland Security and State Department will take a close look at the roles that they have in this programme and determine what kinds of reforms would strengthen the US national security. Responding to a question, he said the way Tashfeen Malik entered the United States was
still under investigation.
He said the entry of Tashfeen Malik raised legitimate, common-sense questions about whether or not that programme needs to be changed as a result.
To a question, Secretary Josh said that President Obama in his speech made it clear that the impression that the West and the United, somehow, were at war with Islam would only serve ISIL's interest.
"That's a fantasy. That is not true. There are millions of patriotic Muslims in America right now that are outstanding members of their community, that are serving in the United States military, that
are teachers, that are coworkers, that are neighbours, that are friends,"
He said the President was quite direct about the role that those Muslim Americans can play in defeating ISIL, both in terms of the responsibility that the Muslim community has to stand up and speak out against those extremist voices inside their community.
"At the same time, the broader American community has a responsibility to make clear that we're going to work with Muslim Americans to protect our country and to protect those in their community that are at risk of being radicalized," he added.
- PTI minister tells why PM Imran can’t expel French ambassador11:55 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- 12 security personnel taken hostage by TLP protesters recovered: ...10:53 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Marastyal – KPK launches mobile app to lodge complaints against ...08:38 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Unknown persons booked for disrespecting 'King Priest' at Mohenjo-Daro08:04 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Arjun Rampal, Neil Nitin Mukesh test positive for Covid-1902:01 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021