China January trade surplus up 88% to 367 billion yuan
Exports from the world's second-largest economy fell 3.2 percent year-on-year to 1.23 trillion yuan in January, while imports decreased 19.7 percent to 860 billion yuan, the General Administration of Customs said on its website.
The latest figures come after China's trade surplus soared 47.2 percent in 2014 to a record $382.46 billion. In December alone, the surplus nearly doubled to $49.6 billion, though fell short of November's all-time monthly high of $54.47 billion.
China's huge trade surpluses were long a source of friction between Beijing and Washington, as the workshop of the world pumped out manufactured goods and US debt mounted, but the issue has receded in more recent years.
Official data showed last month that China's economy grew 7.4 percent in 2014, its weakest for almost a quarter of a century, and slower than the 7.7 percent in 2013.
Growth in gross domestic product (GDP) during the final quarter of last year was 7.3 percent year-on-year, matching the previous three months.
- Jamshed Iqbal Cheema appointed SAPM on food security07:48 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- In first step to control price hike, new Pakistani finance minister ...07:35 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Ingenuity’ – NASA Mars helicopter makes first historic flight ...06:50 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Former KP IGP Nasir Durrani dies of COVID-1906:36 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Mobilink Microfinance Bank launches School Loan to financially ...06:29 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Justin Bieber all set for a cameo in Friends: The Reunion Special05:31 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021