Bangladesh ex-PM Khaleda Zia gets 5 years jail in corruption case
The court convicted the opposition leader of embezzling 21 million taka ($252,000) in foreign donation for the Zia Orphanage Trust. The prosecutors have pleaded the court to sentenced the two-time prime minister to life term.
However, Zia, 72, denied the allegation of misusing international funds donated to the trust.
In the same case, Khaleda’s son Tarique Rahman and four others - former Magura MP Quazi Salimul Haq Kamal, former principal secretary to the PM Kamal Uddin Siddique, BNP founder Ziaur Rahman’s nephew Mominur Rahman and businessman Sharfuddin Ahmed - have been sentenced to 10 years in jail.
Police had imposed a ban on holding protests, besides arresting numbers of her supporters during a crackdown on Wednesday night, ahead of the verdict.
After the conviction, Zia will no longer be able to take part in elections going to be held in December this year. The decision may help Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to get the next term.
- Sindh announces to hire 37,000 teachers11:44 PM | 7 May, 2021
- ‘No hugs and kisses this eid,’ Firdous Ashiq Awan to public amid ...11:03 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Infinix tipped to launch Note 10 Pro with MediaTek Helio G9510:48 PM | 7 May, 2021
- KPK launches mobile vaccination drive for elderly citizens10:32 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Sania Mirza surprises everyone on show Jeeto Pakistan League (VIDEO)06:46 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Ali Rehman Khan celebrates 33rd birthday in style04:19 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Prince William, Duchess Kate launch their own YouTube channel02:16 PM | 7 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021
- Tips to follow when walking for weight loss08:11 PM | 29 Apr, 2021