You can eat this 'incredible' banana without peeling
The technique recreates conditions present at the end of the ice age around 20,000 years ago when plants would emerge from harsh winter temperatures to grow.
The first crop of the plant, which is organically grown and Genetically modified organism (GMO) free, successfully emerged in November.
D&T Farm recreated these conditions by freezing Banana saplings to -60°C, planting them again once thawed. This method encourages them to grow rapidly, even in Japan's relatively cool climate.
The resulting Mongee bananas are sweeter than their tropical relatives, containing 24.8g of sugar compared to an average 18.3g in a regular banana.
Japan imports 99 percent of its bananas, so this homegrown variety is somewhat of a luxury, making up part of the one percent on the island.
This is reflected in the fruit's name, pronounced mon-gay in the local dialect, which is Okayama slang for 'incredible'.
In a written statement on its website, a spokesman for D&T Farm said: 'Banana peel is an excellent ingredient that can contain vitamin B6 and magnesium related to the synthesis of serotonin.
- Islamabad court indicts Shahnawaz Amir, mother in Sarah Inam murder ...02:45 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- 'The Great Gama': Nasir Adeeb shares details of his next film on ...02:21 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Hungary announces Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for Pakistani ...01:49 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Asad Umar summoned to appear before LHC for anti-judiciary speech01:10 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Shoaib Malik takes son Izhaan on ride in his sports car (VIDEO)11:36 AM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan reveals why he was arrested in India09:41 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022