New York temporarily names street 'Muhammad Ali Way' to honor the legend
According to details, mayor of New York Bill de Blasio announced the temporary renaming of West 33rd Street next to the MSG arena where Ali fought his greatest fights.
"Today we are paying tribute to the man in the heart of this city," de Blasio said. "He deserves this naming honor and more."
Ali boxed at Madison Square Garden eight times, including in his spectacular 1971 "Fight of the Century" against Joe Frazier.
The street will be renamed permanently once the city council legalizes it.
The city permanently named other streets surrounding Madison Square Garden "Joe Louis Plaza" in 1984 to honor the previous heavyweight champion who lived from 1914 to 1981.
Related: Muhammad Ali dies at 74
- Pakistan Water Week 2021 kicks off to explore sustainable ways in a ...12:19 AM | 7 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan rejects reports of financial difficulties being faced by ...10:50 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- 'Most-wanted' suspect in Sri Lankan citizen’s lynching arrested10:25 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- PIA allowed to operate additional flights to Saudi Arabia09:29 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Civil-military leadership vows measures to curb mob killings after ...08:53 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat gearing up to host Bigg Boss themed reality show05:05 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Hania Aamir's adorable video while playing with dog goes viral04:48 PM | 6 Dec, 2021
- 'Pawri girl' spotted having a fan moment with legendary singer Hadiqa ...03:00 PM | 6 Dec, 2021