Appointment of top envoy to US in limbo as Aizaz Chaudhry's tenure ends
Despite his retirement, the Pakistani government has not selected anyone so far to appoint a new envoy in a country where active diplomacy is required to mend relations. The US is pushing Islamabad to take action against militants on its ground by ignoring its counterinsurgency efforts.
Ambassador Aizaz Chaudhry engages in uplifting ... 11:51 AM | 13 Feb, 2018
WASHINGTON – Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry attended various events in Los Angeles ...
The media outlet quoting sources claimed that Aizaz Chaudhry sought two-year extension in his tenure, adding that a final decision is yet to be taken.
Last year in March, the government had appointed Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry as Ambassador of Pakistan to the United States.
Before the latest appointment, Chaudhry had been performing duties as foreign secretary. He has been replaced with Tehmina Janjua last year.
He is a career foreign service officer with over 36 years of bilateral and multilateral experience in the field of diplomacy.
Last month, the ambassador delivered a talk on Pakistan-US relations at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
In his remarks, the ambassador highlighted the importance of having good relations between Pakistan and the United States which have historically seen highs and lows in the last 70 years.
Both countries had benefited whenever they had worked together. Therefore, it was imperative that they continue to work together to secure peace and stability in Afghanistan and the region, despite strained ties due to divergent approaches.
He emphasized that although Pakistan desired good relations with the US, it cannot be scapegoated for the failures of others in Afghanistan. Peace in Afghanistan was in Pakistan’s own interest. However, peace would remain elusive by the pursuit of a purely military solution. Political reconciliation was the only option to move forward, he added.
The ambassador said that there were no safe havens in Pakistan today, thanks to the remarkable success of military operations in the tribal areas conducted by Pakistani security forces in the last three years.
- Special immigration counter opened for Chinese nationals at Islamabad ...11:36 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Afghan protesters storm Pakistan High Commission in London10:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- IT ministry makes use of indigenous messaging app mandatory for govt ...10:08 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- World’s fastest train makes debut in China09:24 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- DG ISI arrives in Beijing for strategic talks with Chinese officials08:47 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty breaks silence after husband’s arrest in pornography ...03:49 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Iqra Aziz and Yasir Hussain welcome first baby03:16 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani stars demand #JusticeForNoor02:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021