NYT urges India, Pakistan to find permanent solution to Kashmir issue
It said tensions have cooled between two countries but their nuclear arsenals mean unthinkable consequences are always possible.
The next confrontation might not end so calmly, it said.
It said that "As long as India and Pakistan refuse to deal with their core dispute, the future of Kashmir, they face unpredictable, possibly terrifying, consequences," adding that" the United States needs to get involved."
The editorial said the United States can encourage India to modify its approach to those opposing its rule in Kashmir, which the United Nations (UN) and other groups say involves widespread human rights abuses.
The NYT hinted at the prior escalations and spats between the two neighbouring South Asian nations and said it was in this light that the countries maintain a near-constant state of military readiness along with their border and have little formal government-to-government dialogue.
- Four rare black deer stolen from Lahore’s Safari Park11:01 AM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Taliban hails US troop drawdown from Afghanistan10:29 AM | 17 Jan, 2021
- ATC sentences student to death for 'killing professor over anti-Islam ...10:02 AM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Coronavirus: Pakistan reports 2,521 new cases, 43 deaths09:21 AM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Live Open Market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...08:55 AM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Selena Gomez shares the reason behind calling out Mark Zuckerberg ...07:32 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 30th birthday04:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Details of Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding revealed03:58 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021