Aurat March 2021 aims to highlight bias in Pakistan’s healthcare system and patriarchal violence
Uniting the woman of Pakistan under the umbrella of Aurat March, protesters gather around and demand to curb the deeply-rooted patriarchy in the country.
This year, the rallies under Aurat March were organised in major cities of Pakistan, including Karachi, Lahore and Multan on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
View this post on Instagram
Back in 2018, a handful of women decided to mobilise their networks and gather in Karachi on International Women's Day demanding an end to violence and harassment - which was termed as Aurat March.
Evolving into a wider movement, the rallying cheering "Mera Jism, Meri Marzi", which translates to my body, my choice, touched a nerve within the masses which continues to stir controversy till day. Claims were made that the slogan advocates the right of women to have agency in what they wear and their bodies without fear of harassment or sexual violence.
For Aurat March 2021, participants from each province had set forth a charter of demands for their respective administrations to ensure the rights of women, trans, and non-binary people.
Participants from Karachi have set forth a 15-point agenda this year, while those from Multan have a 22-point agenda for 2021.
We understand not everyone can come to the march for various reasons but specifically because of Covid-19 related precautions.— Aurat March - عورت مارچ (@AuratMarchKHI) March 7, 2021
So we have arranged for 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜 𝐃𝐢𝐚𝐫𝐲 to broadcast 𝐀𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 Dharna 𝙇𝙄𝙑𝙀 From Frere Hall, Karachi#AuratMarch2021 pic.twitter.com/PAduslCGLy
Aurat March Lahore has set forth a 12-point agenda this year, while the demands of Aurat March Islamabad are linked to this year's theme of the crisis of care amid the coronavirus pandemic.
International Women's Day is being celebrated ... 11:09 AM | 8 Mar, 2021
ISLAMABAD – International Women's Day is being observed today (Monday) to raise awareness against gender ...
- Wahab Riaz and Muhammad Waseem help New York Strikers strike down ...03:15 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Indian singer Jubin Nautiyal rushed to hospital with multiple ...02:49 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Punjab education minister shares update on early winter vacations, ...02:22 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Encouraging Players to Continue With Risk-Taking Can Be Difficult in ...01:47 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Meet Waleed Malik, Pakistani doctor who sets new record with 29 gold ...01:24 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Ayesha Omar’s bold pictures at beach set internet on fire11:58 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Meet Pakistan's most streamed Spotify artist of the year08:36 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Pakistani TikTok sensation Ayesha's new videos shock her fans09:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022