Girl killed by father, brother for honour in Karachi
According to police, Ghulam Nabi, father of the deceased, along with his son Nabeel, strangled his daughter named Farzana to death just to save their honour in society.
The police has arrested them as they have confessed to their crime, while a case has been registered against them for further action.
The motive for the murder their beloved one has not been released so far.
According to the independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP), nearly 1,100 women were killed by relatives in Pakistan last year in so-called honour killings, while many more cases go unreported.
The Aurat Foundation’s annual report of 2016 showed 7,852 similar cases of violence against women.
Last year, a number of high-profile deaths made headlines both in Pakistan and abroad, including the killing of British woman Samia Shahid in July, allegedly by her father and her former husband.
In July last year, Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch was strangled to death, allegedly killed by her brother in the province of Punjab.
Following public outrage, Pakistan's government introduced a amended law that closed a loophole allowing those behind so-called honour killings to go free.
A 2005 amendment to the law pertaining to "honour killings" prevented men who kill female relatives pardoning themselves as an 'heir' of the victim.
New legislation means killers will get a mandatory life sentence. Previously, killers could be pardoned by a victim's family to avoid a jail term. Now forgiveness will only spare them the death penalty.
- Pakistan gets UAE nod to hold remaining matches of PSL 2021 in Abu ...06:01 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Board exams across Pakistan to be held at any cost: NCOC05:24 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Sakina Abbas becomes Pakistan’s first female Google Developers ...04:22 PM | 18 May, 2021
- US approves release of Pakistani prisoner from Guantanamo Bay03:55 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas's recent statement leaves the internet divided02:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Nora Fatehi's bold dance video in gym goes viral01:41 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Ali Zafar celebrates birthday in style01:15 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021