Thousands march in Iran to protest crackdown on Myanmar’s Rohingya Muslims
During the rally, held after the Friday prayers, the protesters chanted slogans such as “Death to Israel” and “Death to the US” and “Death to Zionists” and “Allahu Akbar” - God is the greatest in Arabic.
The demonstrators condemned the global silence on the ongoing crimes against Rohingya in Myanmar and called on the international community to take action to restore the rights of the oppressed Muslims, according to Press TV.
Red Zone sealed as Islamabad braces for Rohingya ... 05:09 PM | 8 Sep, 2017
ISLAMABAD - Thousands of people Friday marched on Islamabad to protest the persecution of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, ...
They also asked for the dispatch of humanitarian aid a fact-finding committee to the region to investigate the atrocities against Muslims.
Anger across Asia
The attacks have intensified since August 25, following alleged armed attacks on police and military posts in Rakhine.
Meanwhile, in a letter to UN Secretary General António Guterres published on Friday, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned about the continuation of the ongoing crackdown on Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, urging the international community and the United Nations in particular to take swift action to end the crisis.
“It is expected that the United Nations act swiftly and undertake all necessary measures towards addressing international concerns about the deteriorating situation in Myanmar,” Zarif said.
He added that Myanmar’s government must address the long-standing grievances and the miserable situation of its Muslim community, observe their rights in an effective manner and recognize them as equal citizens while protecting them in the face of violence and discrimination.
The number of those killed is unclear, but in some estimates has crossed 1,000 people.
- PAF trainer aircraft crashes near Mardan, pilot martyred (VIDEO)01:25 PM | 22 Sep, 2021
- PM Imran meets Pakistan’s T20 World Cup squad today12:14 PM | 22 Sep, 2021
- Turkish President Erdogan calls for settlement of Kashmir issue under ...11:36 AM | 22 Sep, 2021
- Mardan orphan student sets record by obtaining full marks in matric10:57 AM | 22 Sep, 2021
- Taliban ask to speak at UN, nominate Suhail Shaheen as Afghan envoy10:32 AM | 22 Sep, 2021
- Bakhtawar Bhutto sends adorable birthday gift to brother Bilawal04:36 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Neha Rajpoot and Shahbaz Taseer spark marriage rumours05:00 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Birthday wishes pour in for Kareena Kapoor Khan03:16 PM | 21 Sep, 2021