Pakistan issues 2,200 visas to Sikh pilgrims for Baisakhi celebrations
The visas have been issued for the Sikhs to attend the religious festival scheduled from April 12 to 21.
The High Commission stated that 2200 visas issued were in addition to the ones already granted to Sikh pilgrims from other countries.
"We extend our profound greetings and felicitations to all our brothers and sisters celebrating this auspicious occasion and wish the visiting pilgrims a spiritually fulfilling journey," added the High Commissioner.
Visas are issued under the Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines 1974.
During the visit to Pakistan, the pilgrims also visit the holiest shrines of Panja Sahib, Nankana Sahib, and Kartarpur Sahib.
The quiet town of Hassanabdal comes alive with festivity with the arrival of pilgrims. For centuries the economy of this town has revolved around the Gurdwara Punja Sahib.
Traditionally, during their stay at a Gurdwara, Sikh pilgrims sleep on the floor. The festival begins with the recitation of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh holy book. The entire 1,430 pages of the text are read during these three days. The celebrations culminate with the end of the recitation on the third day of the Besakhi and the ‘Bhog’, or conclusion ceremony is performed.
- We will continue to restore democracy by removing PTI govt: Zardari03:43 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- APC turning point in Pakistani politics, time to take major decisions ...02:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Police arrests over 30 demonstrators during protest against COVID-19 ...01:31 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020