Modi makes surprise visit to Sri Lankan church bombed on Easter
COLOMBO - India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi made an unscheduled stop on Sunday at a Catholic church in Colombo bombed during the string of attacks on Easter.
Modi turned up in St Anthony's shrine ahead of his official welcome to Sri Lanka and President Maithripala Sirisena's office.
"I am confident Sri Lanka will rise again," the newly elected Indian leader stated on Twitter.
I am confident Sri Lanka will rise again.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 9, 2019
Cowardly acts of terror cannot defeat the spirit of Sri Lanka.
India stands in solidarity with the people of Sri Lanka pic.twitter.com/n8PA8pQnoJ
He continued that cowardly acts of terror could not defeat the spirit of Sri Lanka, pledging support for people of Sri Lanka.
The BJP leader is stopping in Colombo on his return home after an official visit to the neighbouring Maldives.
Over 200 Sri Lankans were left dead when terrorists launched attacks on multiple churches across the country on the occasion of Easter; the incident jolted Colombo and Christian community across the world.
Sri Lanka Muslim ministers resign in droves over ... 12:18 AM | 4 Jun, 2019
COLOMBO - Sri Lanka's Muslim ministers resigned en masse Monday over widespread hate attacks against their community in ...
It was also reported that the attacks were retaliation to the Christchurch mosque shootings in New Zealand in which over 4 dozen Muslims were left dead.
- Two kids drown in River Chenab08:02 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Predatory cop shoots teen boy dead in Kasur on Eid07:24 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Lahore temperature hits 44°C on second day of Eid07:04 PM | 25 May, 2020
- PML-N’s Nehal Hashmi tests positive for COVID-1906:59 PM | 25 May, 2020
- KP chief secretary tests positive for COVID-1905:40 PM | 25 May, 2020
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020