‘Friends’ co-creator regrets the show’s lack of diversity
While the '90s sitcom Friends is everyone’s favourite, even its most avid fans must admit it's also problematic through a modern perspective.
Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman revealed that she regrets not doing more to promote diversity on the show.
During the ATX TV Festival last weekend, when asked what the co-creator of Friends wished she'd known when starting her career, she said, "I wish I knew then what I know today. Sorry, I just wish I knew then what I know now. I would've made very different decisions.
"I mean we've always encouraged people of diversity in our company, but I didn't do enough and now all I can think about is what can I do? What can I do differently? How can I run my show in a new way? And that's something I not only wish I knew when I started showrunning, but I wish I knew all the way up through last year."
Set in New York, “Friends” revolves around the life of six white friends and featured predominantly white guest stars, with the exception of girlfriend characters played by Lauren Tom and Aisha Tyler.
Currently there are no plans for a Friends reboot, but the cast plans on reuniting for a special on HBO Max — the new, exclusive streaming home of the series — later this year.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- PIA raises airfares for Saudi Arabia flights by upto Rs49,00012:04 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Houthis' attacks on Saudi Arabia11:39 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- US imposes new sanctions on Iran’s Defense Ministry09:47 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Pakistani documentary selected as finalist for Resistance ...09:13 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- TECNO’s launches Hero Phone Spark 6 in Pakistan08:24 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Cavit Çetin Güner and Sadia Khan follow each other on Instagram05:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Emmys 2020: Jennifer Aniston hosts surprise ‘Friends‘ reunion04:07 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Aiman Khan, Muneeb Butt celebrate Amal’s first birthday01:53 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020