Magic Mirror: Google engineer turns bathroom glass into high-tech gadget
Smartly using a two-way mirror, a display panel and a controller board among a few other secondary components and arts & crafts supplies, Max Braun turned his bathroom mirror into a high-tech device.
The otherwise rudimentary accessory has now become a notification center of sorts, displaying the time, date, weather forecast, and latest news headlines.
Although it doesn’t have a touchscreen or voice command capabilities - it just updates itself regularly - the smart-mirror a thing of beauty that will definitely leave your guests in awe.
Braun has provided links to all the supplies he used, and also a brief description of the build process, but in a nut shell the display behind the two-way mirror is connected to an Amazon Fire TV Stick, using a mini controller board, the Oddity Central reported.
The Fire TV Stick runs the software, while the board is also connected to a power button and green LED.
Braun says that the added features don’t make the mirror less practical, and that the text won’t affect its most important function - to let you look at yourself.
“Unless the weather is cloudy, there will be little color in the UI, but for the most part the text and icons are monochrome to prevent them from being too distracting,” he said.
The Google engineer is still trying to improve the layout and user interface, experimenting with widgets like traffic updates, daily reminders, and voice search.
“This prototype is still a work in progress and I haven’t spent much time on the software yet,” he wrote on Medium, an online community where users share ideas.
“The UI above is only a few hundred lines of code and I’m experimenting with different devices to run it - initially Chromecast, then Nexus Player, and most recently Fire TV Stick.”
“Maybe I’ll post a more detailed making-of with the pictures I took during the build,” he added. I’m sure a lot of techie DIY enthusiasts would love that. And who knows, maybe they’ll have some improvements to suggest.
We’re sure you all want this smart-mirror in your bathrooms. Let’s all hope it becoming a real product anytime sooner.
Photo courtesy: Max Braun
- Parliamentary Committee on National Security meets today02:08 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani mountaineer Shehroze Kashif sets another record01:43 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- TikTok stars Kanwal, Zulqarnain ooze couple goals on dreamy Europe ...01:35 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Indian plane makes emergency landing at Karachi airport01:14 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Watch: Mahira Khan shows off her dance moves on 'Loota Re'12:06 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Marwa Hocane sends sweetest birthday wishes to Ameer Gilani11:47 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022