Asad Umar says ready to visit US for negotiations with PayPal
Speaking at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Peshawar on Monday, the minister rubbished reports that the federal government was blocking PayPal's entry into the Pakistani market.
The lawmaker claimed that the government was actually "chasing" the online payments giant.
"What you've been told about PayPal is completely wrong," the finance minister replied.
"PayPal is neither stuck at my desk, nor the State Bank, nor any other government institution. The situation is actually reverse. I took up this even though this issue is not directly related to me," he shared.
The legislator continued that PayPal was a fantastic source for the employment of our youth, boys and girls who work from their homes.
"The nonavailability of PayPal or any other effective online payment system causes them a lot of problems. This is why I took the initiative myself and had a message sent to the PayPal chief executive officer," Umar observed.
The finance minister highlighted that the government had initiated a dialogue with the firm adding that he was working on another online payment system as well.
"After PayPal, the second [biggest online payment system] in the world is AliPay, whose subsidiary is Ant Financial which has acquired majority shares of Telenor Bank, which previously used to be Tameer Bank," the minister said.
"In my talks with them, they have assured me that among their first few projects will be an online payment system. So that [is also on the table] but we will keep on chasing PayPal as well," the finance minister added.
PayPal is a faster, safer way to send money, make an online payment, receive money or set up a merchant account; the service is not available in Pakistan despite repeated calls by the tech industry experts.
- T20 World Cup: Bangladesh and Oman lock horns in must-win game today12:32 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran, President Alvi extend felicitations to Muslims on Eid ...11:57 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Eid Milad-un-Nabi: Mobile phone services partially suspended in parts ...11:33 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Defamation suit: ARY UK apologises to Ishaq Dar over ‘fabricated’ ...11:04 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Iran invites Pakistan to multilateral conference on Afghanistan10:36 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021