Hafeez's heroic performance helps Pakistan win first ODI against S Lanka
All-rounder Mohammad Hafeez took 4-41 and scored 103 as Pakistan restricted Sri Lanka to 255-8 and then surpassed the target in 45.2 overs. Shoaib Malik also secured fifty.
The second match will be played in Pallekele on Wednesday.
Earlier, Captain Azhar Ali won the toss and elected to field first against Sri Lanka.
With ICC Champions Trophy qualification at stake, Azhar is confident that the side can win the series against Sri Lanka. However, he conceded that the new rules will be a challenge for him as well as Sri Lankan counterpart Angelo Mathews.
“The new playing conditions will certainly be a challenge for both captains in the first two matches because everyone will take time to get used to them,” Azhar said.
The new ICC rules have given fielding relaxation to the captain and will support the bowlers as it is no longer mandatory to keep two catching fielders in the first 10 overs, while five fielders can be outside the circle in the last 10 overs instead of four.
- India’s first PM Jawaharlal Nehru’s statue vandalised by Hindutva ...11:02 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Leaked phone call allegedly between Malik Riaz and Asif Zardari goes ...10:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- PropTech: the inevitable digitization of real estate in Pakistan10:28 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan gets clean chit in drugs case07:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Ghana Ali expresses her resentment towards Maryam Nawaz09:12 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Hareem Farooq celebrates birthday in style06:22 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022