APNS condemns putting Cyril Almaeda's name on ECL
“APNS believes that the right of freedom of expression is enshrined in Article 19 and 19A of the Constitution of Pakistan and is one of the basic pillars of the democratic society,” a statement said.
Mr. Sarmad Ali, President and Mr. Umer Mujib Shami, Secretary General of APNS condemned the move in a joint statement.
The APNS said that the news story published was contradicted by the government repeatedly over the course of last few days. That contradiction was also published prominently in all the major newspapers flashed on electronic media as well. Without going into the merits of the content of the story, it is suffice to say that it should have been the end of the matter.
“In this day and age where all kind of unfounded allegations and conspiracy theories find their way to the electronic and social media, singling out a story and making it a reason for not so cordial civil military relations or blaming it for creating fissures between the same, seem absurd to say the least,” the statement read.
“It is really very disturbing to see a democratic government reacting in an arbitrary manner and opting to “shoot the messenger”, an approach that is reminiscent of an era of oppression and repression which many thought was confined to history books. The government can always take any complaint against the newspaper to Press Council, a legal forum created for this very purpose rather than acting in a one sided manner.”
APNS reminded the government that print media in this country has always remained the cornerstone of democratic traditions and any attempt to stifle it is in fact an attack on the very foundation of democracy itself.
- Soldier martyred in gun battle with terrorists in North Waziristan09:24 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Over one million Muslims move to Mina to perform rituals of Hajj 202209:10 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:33 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 07 July 202208:13 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Nawal Saeed melts hearts with new sizzling photos in saree11:10 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new video of playing cricket in saree goes viral06:06 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Fia Khan’s new bold pregnancy photoshoot with family goes viral05:18 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022