Death penalty has no space in 21 st century : UN Chief
“It has no place in the 21st century,” the secretary general stressed in his message for the Day, commemorated annually on Oct. 10.
“To be legitimate and effective, counter terror measures, like all security operations, must be anchored in respect for human rights and the rule of law,” he added. Yet death sentences for terrorism are often handed down after unfair and speedy trials by military or special courts.
In his message, the UN chief noted that confessions were often obtained under duress or in other ways in which the right to appeal is not respected.
Some States even sought to criminalize the legitimate exercise of fundamental freedoms by including vague definitions in counter terrorism legislation.
“Let us be clear: participation in peaceful protests and criticism of a government, whether in private, on the Internet, or in the media, are neither crimes nor terrorist acts,” Ban underscored. “The threat or use of the death penalty in such cases is an egregious violation of human rights, he added.
Some may argue that capital punishment would diminish terrorism, he went on to say, but, emphasized: “This is not true. Experience has shown that putting terrorists to death serves as propaganda for their movements by creating perceived martyrs and making their macabre recruiting campaigns more effective.”
He urged everyone to continue working to abolish the death penalty in all circumstances and places.
“Let our actions always be guided by the moral compass of human rights’ the most effective route to a safer, more just and secure world,” Ban added.
In Geneva, a group of UN human rights experts meanwhile has reminded Governments around the world that capital punishment is an ineffective deterrent for terrorism and most times an unlawful one.
- Balochistan's first woman SHO takes charge11:24 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Imran Khan's billionaire friend wins defamation suit against Indian ...10:42 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani fans excited but were Ms. Marvel scenes really shot in ...08:59 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Search operation under way for missing French paraglider in Gilgit ...08:25 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Hassan Ali’s adorable birthday celebration with wife goes viral04:49 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Komal Baig blessed with a baby boy04:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022