Remembering Pakistani pop icon Nazia Hassan on her 20th death anniversary
The 20th death anniversary of Pakistani musician Nazia Hassan, a pop icon who endeared herself to millions across the world, is being observed today.
The music maestro passed away on August 13, 2000, in London, following a prolonged battle with lung cancer. She was only 35 years old.
Nazia, born on 3rd April 1965 in Karachi, started her singing career during the late 1970s‚ when she appeared on several television shows on PTV as a child artist.
The Queen of Pop music, rose to fame when she lent her vocals for the song 'Aap Jaisa Koi' in the Bollywood film Qurbani in 1980, making her hugely popular across South Asia.
Winning a Filmfare Award, she also bagged the title of being the first Pakistani to win the prestigious accolade.
In 1981, Hassan produced the album Disco Deewaney, which turned out to be a huge success, smashing sales records in Pakistan and receiving immense international acclaim.
The legendary singer, who was also a lawyer and a social activist, joined the United Nations in 1991 and bagged several accolades for her philanthropic work.
She was also given the Pride of Performance award in 2002 .Nazia, a top Asian artist of her time, is an inspiration for many and there's nobody else like her.
Have more more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Who is Chuck Feeney, and why top Pakistani leaders are praising him?07:38 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Punjab approves Drug Amendment Bill 2020 to counter fake cosmetics ...06:56 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Islamabad police rescue Hungarian diplomats who lost their way in ...06:32 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- FIA Lahore summons Salman Shahbaz05:54 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- 640 new coronavirus cases reported; one death in past 24 hours in ...04:31 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020