Indian ministers told to clean toilets, public places on Modi's 67th birthday
Besides volunteering from 10 am to noon to clean public places including toilets and popular tourist destinations like India Gate, Juhu Beach and 15 other tourist places, the ministers have also been asked to adopt and clean slums in different cities in efforts to push Modi’s Clean India or Swachh Bharat mission.
In a PowerPoint presentation made Tuesday evening with Mr Modi present, ministers were cautioned to aim not for publicity but on mobilizing communities, the Times of India reported.
In 2014, the PM launched the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Mission on the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi. "A clean India is the best tribute we can pay to Bapu when we celebrate his 150th birth anniversary in 2019," he said when he announced the nationwide campaign for cleanliness and better sanitation.
However, critics have said the initiative has been confined to photo ops and has created little difference on the ground.
India elects its first Dalit president 05:06 PM | 20 Jul, 2017
NEW DELHI - Ram Nath Kovind has been elected as India's 14th president, becoming the first head of the state of the ...
- TikTok removes 113 million videos to protect minors on the platform11:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Babar Azam equals Virat Kohli's record in T20Is11:21 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: England win 6th T20I against Pakistan by 8 wickets11:01 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- 'First-ever Indian singer to have his own private island with a lake, ...10:14 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saim Sadiq's Joyland nominated for Oscars by Pakistani Academy ...08:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022