Pakistan concerned over situation in Syria; condemns use of chemical weapons
According to Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal, Islamabad “condemns the use of chemical weapons anywhere by anyone”.
He said that it is important to establish facts through urgent and transparent investigations by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
On Friday night, the United States, United Kingdom and France attacked three Syrian government sites, targeting what they said were chemical weapons facilities.
More than 100 missiles struck in response to a suspected deadly chemical attack on the town of Douma last week.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said he condemned the Western strikes "in the most serious way".
Russia, whose forces are bolstering Syria's government, had threatened military retaliation if any Russian personnel had been hit.
Massive explosions rock Damascus as Western ... 08:34 AM | 14 Apr, 2018
DAMASCUS - In what appears to be a harbinger of more tension in war-ravaged Syria, the United States, Britain and ...
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his opening remarks urged all members of the Security Council to exercise restraint and avoid escalation in Syria.
The Secretary-General also said that international investigators are ready to visit the site of the suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria’s Douma where several militias and armies are fighting proxy wars.
Russian Ambassador to the UN Vasily Nebenzya said the attack was an act of aggression against a sovereign state and that the US and its allies have demonstrated a blatant disregard for international law.
Meanwhile, the US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said the strikes were carefully planned to minimise civilian casualties.
Haley said US is “locked and loaded” to strike Syria again if the regime uses toxic gas again.
Syria strikes - How world reacted?
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, also supported the US, French and British missile strikes, saying that military intervention was necessary and appropriate.
Turkish Foreign Ministry in a statement welcomed the strikes as an appropriate response to the suspected chemical attack.
Criticizing the United States and its allies for launching the missile strikes despite absence of any proven evidence regarding the use of chemical weapons by Syrian government, Iran’s Foreign Ministry said America and its allies will assume responsibility for the regional and trans-regional consequences of this adventurism.
Jordan said only a political solution would guarantee stability and territorial integrity of Syria while continued violence will lead to more violence, conflict, fighting and displacement whose victims would be Syrian people.
Several European leaders, including Belgian, Spanish, Czech and Italian Prime Ministers have issued statements in support of the Western missile strikes on Syria.
- Pakistani rupee gains Rs2.54 against dollar in interbank market12:37 PM | 10 Aug, 2022
- TV anchor Iqrarul Hassan jumps into dispute between Aamir Liaquat’s ...11:50 AM | 10 Aug, 2022
- Pemra warns TV channels of action for airing ‘propaganda ...11:18 AM | 10 Aug, 2022
- Court grants two-day remand of Shahbaz Gill in sedition case10:15 AM | 10 Aug, 2022
- Eshal Fayyaz gives befitting reply to trolls for moral policing05:58 PM | 9 Aug, 2022
- Adeel Chaudhry spills the beans on his wedding plans05:06 PM | 9 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022