Pakistan finally shelves coal-power project under CPEC
During the 8th Joint Coordination Committee meeting held last month, a Pakistani delegation led by Minister for Planning and Development Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtyar proposed removing the Rahim Yar Khan coal-based power plant to provide structure optimisation space for the subsequent power market of Pakistan, an official who cited the minutes of the Joint Coordination Committee meeting which was held on 20 December 2018 was quoted as saying by The Dawn.
The Rahim Yar Khan power plant was pursued by the Quaid-i-Azam Thermal Company from Punjab government led by former CM Shehbaz Sharif, brother of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif.
But now the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) government of Prime Minister Imran Khan has removed the project from the priority list of the CPEC after it was found that surplus generation capacity had already been contracted and more contracts would lead the country to a capacity trap.
CPEC contributes 300MW wind energy to national ... 07:34 PM | 1 Jan, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) has contributed 300MW of clean wind energy to the national ...
The Chinese side suggested that a joint study on optimisation of energy mix be carried out at the earliest.
This is not a “jolt for China.” The Rahim Yar Khan coal power plant was downgraded early on and it became clear that it was going to be dropped. The project never made sense. So formally dropping it is a positive development.https://t.co/ucI8xPlLi3— Arif Rafiq (@ArifCRafiq) January 14, 2019
The CPEC, which connects Gwadar Port in Balochistan with China's Xinjiang province, is the flagship project of Chinese President Xi Jinping's ambitious Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The $60 billion-plus economic corridor, launched in 2015, is a planned network of roads, railways and energy projects.
- COAS Bajwa congratulates Nepalese climbers for first winter ascent of ...09:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- A paper tiger? PML-N's Rana Sanaullah 'roars' at Lahore court (VIDEO)08:22 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Mufti Abdul Qavi declared 'a mental patient' amid Hareem Shah ...08:00 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Teenage girl injured in unprovoked Indian firing along LoC07:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pemra suspends Bol News’ licence over anti-judiciary content07:01 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Cannoli café manager gets job offers from Shahbaz Taseer and Karak ...05:59 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021